In Chapter 6, PPC - you gets what you pays for; we introduced Pay Per Click; its bidding procedures, testing and strategies. This week we examine a case study to help you consolidate your knowledge. This case study focuses on how implementing a PPC campaign increased Southern Sun's conversion rate by 125%!
Southern Sun launched their new website in May 2006. The changes included an updated look and feel, a greater quantity and quality of information, and better booking functionality. As often happens with an unplanned site relaunch, Southern Sun lost all of the previously good organic search engine rankings. A new website needs time to climb up the search engine rankings, and it can take a minimum of three months before it starts receiving organic traffic.
Southern Sun could potentially have lost out on bookings because of the decrease in organic traffic. Therefore, they required a way of ensuring that their site:
- Continued to receive a steady flow of bookings despite temporarily poor organic rankings
- Received enough traffic to analyse user behaviour & responses
- Received enough traffic to generate trust from search engines and climb up the SERP's as fast as possible
With the new site, Southern Sun hoped to increase the number of bookings made online, and tap into the international tourist and business travel market. This meant they needed to migrate a significant amount of their offline promotions and special offers to their website in such a way as to attract a favourable online response.
Quirk set up a PPC campaign for Southern Sun with the intention of:
- Sending traffic to the site
- Attracting international traffic
- Split-testing campaigns
Other Articles in the digital marketing 101 series:
- What is eMarketing and how is it better than traditional marketing?
- The Arrows in the eMarketer's quiver
- Blogging - Everyone else is doing it, so why can't I?
- A focus on natural search (beginner's guide to SEO)
- A Case Study - SEO in action
- PPC - you gets what you pays for
- A Case Study - PPC to the rescue
- Email Marketing - No not spam
- Affiliate Marketing - because we all need friends
- WebPR and ORM - blah blah blah conversations
- A Case Study - ORM: Keeping Your Ears to the Ground
- Viral Marketing - linkerbation is a normal, natural thing. Perfectly natural
- Online Advertising - Throwing a Banner into the Works
- Conversion Optimisation - Are You Closing the Deal?
- A Case Study - 2010 : Can the SA Tourism Industry Meet Online Expectations?