SearchStatus is a toolbar extension for Firefox and SeaMonkey that allows you to see how any and every website in the world is performing. Designed for the highly specialised needs of search engine marketers, this toolbar provides extensive search-related information about a site, all conveniently displayed in one discreet and compact toolbar.
For every site you visit using, SearchStatus lets you view its Google PageRank, Google Category, Alexa popularity ranking, Compete.com ranking, SEOmoz Linkscape mozRank, Alexa related links and backward links from Google, Yahoo! and MSN. This combined search-related information means you can view not only the link importance of a site (according to Google and Linkscape), but also its traffic importance (according to Alexa and Compete), so providing a balanced view of site efficacy.
The SearchStatus Mozilla Firefox/SeaMonkey extension appears unobtrusively at the bottom of the browser on the status bar. If you choose to view backward links for a particular page, they open in new tabs in the same browser window. Disable the automatic PageRank, Alexa, Compete or mozRank queries and they fold away from view.
Simply right-click one of the five areas and select an option from the pop-up menu.
You need to be running Mozilla Firefox or SeaMonkey browser to install this. If you are, just click on the link and it should install automatically. Then restart your browser, and see SearchStatus in the bottom right corner.
The Google PageRank ranking sends your current URL and a hash of it to Google. The Alexa Rank ranking sends your current URL domain, your local IP address and a unique constant to Alexa Web Services.
The Compete ranking (disabled by default) sends your current domain and a unique constant to Compete. The Linkscape ranking (disabled by default) sends your current URL to Linkscape. All of these displays can be turned off independently.
SearchStatus has been tested from Firefox 3.0 upwards as well as SeaMonkey 2.0. Queries made to Google, Alexa, Compete and Linkscape are cached to minimise network traffic. Alexa queries made do affect Alexa statistics. Compete queries made do affect Compete statistics. Please post any comments, bugs and other feedback in the form below.
- 2013-05-23: ver 1.46 - Alexa related links fix, Linkscape access update
- 2013-03-04: ver 1.45 - Code packaging refactor to avoid naming conflicts, full Retina support
- 2013-01-11: ver 1.43 - Compete data available on request only, preliminary Retina support
- 2012-09-14: ver 1.42 - Compete and SEOMoz mozRank algorithms updated, Firefox 17 release compatibility
- 2012-05-29: ver 1.41 - SEOmoz mozRank working again (available on click only though), placement bug on startup fixed, changing options via Preferences bug fixed, Firefox 13 release compatibility
- 2012-02-23: ver 1.40 - Blekko SEO indexed pages and backlink tools, SEOmoz mozRank algorithm updated, deprecated code removed, Firefox 12 release compatibility
- 2011-11-29: ver 1.39 - SEOmoz mozRank algorithm updated, Yahoo Site Explorer replaced with Blekko, canonical button 'disappearing' fix, Firefox 10 release compatibility
- 2011-10-10: ver 1.38 -
Google PageRank fix, Firefox 9 compatibility
- 2011-09-10: ver 1.37 -
Firefox 7 compatibility, minor bug fixes
- 2011-02-02: ver 1.36 - Minor bug fix
- 2011-02-02: ver 1.35 - Firefox 4.0 release compatibility, better privacy when Private Browsing
- 2009-11-26: ver 1.33 - Minor bug fix.
- 2009-11-25: ver 1.32 - Firefox 3.6 and SeaMonkey 2.0 compatibility, better private mode management.
- 2009-09-29: ver 1.31 - Better bar and tooltip state indication, new Domain mozRank feature, new Show other domains on this IP feature, rankings for HTTPS, left-click to refresh ranking, new Alexa search keywords feature, hide canonical button, miscellaneous fixes.
- 2009-05-14: ver 1.30 - Canonical link detection with 'C' icon in location bar (!), character counts in Meta Tags, Firefox 3.5 support, private browsing integration, backward links engines revision, improved nofollow highlighting, and bugs fixed.
- 2009-02-16: ver 1.29 - Minor updates and performance improvements.
- 2009-02-09: ver 1.28 - mozRank from SEOMoz's Linkscape added! Also new Private Mode to only fetch rankings on request, better use of Yahoo's SiteExplorer for backward link checks, and bugs fixed with loading tabs in the background.
- 2008-09-25: ver 1.27 - Fix clearing nofollow highlighting, retrieve sitemap.xml, add who.is WHOIS provider and only count keywords bounded by non word characters.
- 2008-07-23: ver 1.26 - Improve Keyword Density accuracy, extension manager fix.
- 2008-05-23: ver 1.25 - Fix nofollow highlighting in Firefox 3.
- 2008-04-24: ver 1.24 - Improve Meta Tags UI, add page title row. Firefox 3 positioning bug fix.
- 2008-03-25: ver 1.23 - Release for Firefox 3.
- 2007-11-27: ver 1.22 - Update for compatibility with Firefox 3 Beta 1.
- 2007-08-22: ver 1.21 - Change default WHOIS provider, minor fixes.
- 2007-05-23: ver 1.20 - Minor tweaks and fixes.
- 2007-05-15: ver 1.19 - Compete.com added! Compete ranking for the current domain now appears in a new bar alongside PageRank and Alexa Rank, with estimated visitors in the menu (can be disabled if not desired). Alexa queries improved to ensure inclusion into Alexa's toolbar users panel.
- 2006-10-03: ver 1.18 - Bumped maxVersion for Firefox 2. Nofollow, External follow and Secure link totals now displayed in the link report.
- 2006-09-05: ver 1.17 - Firefox 2.0 compatibility, Keyword Density Analyser more similar to search engine behaviour, DMOZ categories (off Alexa Categories menu), customisable WHOIS source in Options menu, removed anonymization (was breaking functionality), other small fixes.
- 2006-06-12: ver 1.16 - Show backward links expanded (Thanks to Todd "Oilman" Friesen!), new link report showing internal and external link counts, Google Trends included, more PageRank fetch tweaks, Firefox 2.0 alpha supported, support for highlighting nofollow links from a meta tag, minor tweaks.
- 2006-01-01: ver 1.15 - New keyword highlighter feature (right-click), thousands separator for Alexa rank, Google categories support removed (support discontinued from Google), more accurate PageRank, minor tweaks.
- 2005-11-16: ver 1.14 - Better integration with Alexa yielding more accurate results - SearchStatus and Alexa are more closely linked than ever. Now with Flock support!
- 2005-11-10: ver 1.13 - Internal version for testing.
- 2005-10-10: ver 1.12 - Bumped maxVersion to Firefox 1.5
- 2005-09-13: ver 1.11 - Fixed a bug opening new tabs in Firefox 1.5 Beta 1.
- 2005-09-09: ver 1.10 - Bumped the max version for Firefox 1.5 Beta 1, keyword density is now calculated to one decimal place.
- 2005-08-24: ver 1.9 - Added highlighting of nofollow links feature (suggested by Matt Cutts of Google), available on right-click. Fixed problems in Deer Park Alpha 2.
- 2005-07-11: ver 1.8 - Greatly improved Google PageRank for zero ranked and some other miscellaneous pages, through a fallback mechanism that issues a simpler query to Google.
- 2005-07-10: ver 1.7 - Added a Keyword Density Analyser to check for the density of keywords on a page. It is available on right-click, select the phrase first or enter it in the popup box. Fixed a bug with '+' characters in the URL.
- 2005-03-24: ver 1.6 - Added indication of present DMOZ categories without menu click. These are indicated by a small red box next to the ranking for a particular page. Alexa Related Links now can be shown on the toolbar - see the Options dialog. Fixed some minor security issues and other small bugs.
- 2005-03-02: ver 1.5 - Added Show as Text for rankings and copyable Meta Tags table. Fixed conflicts with other extensions and anonymization feature.
- 2005-02-16: ver 1.4 - Added Google Cache query, Whois query. Fixed Google backward links and Alexa query subdomains.
- 2005-01-05: ver 1.3 - Added modifiable URI exclusion list to the Options for privacy, option to open new tabs in the background, and a feature to show the archives of the current domain in the WaybackMachine.
- 2004-12-07: ver 1.2 - Developed in conjunction with Alexa, using Alexa Web Services (Thanks Geoff!). New features include Contact Info, Alexa categories, Indexed pages, Meta tags and Robots.txt views.
- 2004-12-01: ver 1.1.2 - Crash on close bug properly fixed, preferences bug causing no ranks to appear fixed.
- 2004-11-25: ver 1.1.1 - Tweak to avoid Firefox bug causing crash on close.
- 2004-11-24: ver 1.1 - Complete rewrite. New features include an options dialog that lets you position SearchStatus anywhere in your browser, and the ability to anonymize your data requests. Bugs fixed and performance enhanced.
- 2004-10-25: ver 1.0.4 - Changed max version to support Firefox 1.0.
- 2004-10-20: ver 1.0.3 - Alexa related links disappearing popup menu bug fixed.
- 2004-10-19: ver 1.0.2 - Now indicates an unranked site more clearly, many minor bugs fixed, new icon
- 2004-10-08: ver 1.0.1 - Minor repackaging to conform to Mozilla standards
- 2004-09-16: ver 0.9.6 - New Google checksum algorithm